Monday, July 22, 2019

Alpha's Rally Point Qualifier Win--May 11, Lenexa, KS, Pt. 3

Part 3: The AAR Strikes Back

Round 2: 
The second round was my toughest of the day, and the one that came the closest to going either way.  I played against Rick's list:
800 Points

Han Solo 120
-Environmental Gear,
Chewbacca 110
Rebel Troopers 40
-Z-6 Trooper,
Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) 16
-DH-447 Sniper,
AT-RT 55
-AT-RT Rotary Blaster,
Leia Organa 90
-Improvised Orders, Esteemed Leader,
Rebel Troopers 40
-Z-6 Trooper,
Rebel Troopers 40
Rebel Troopers 40
Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) 16
-DH-447 Sniper,
AT-RT 55
-AT-RT Rotary Blaster,

Commands:
Coordinated Bombardment, Sorry About the Mess, Reckless Diversion, Brains and Brawn, Change of Plans, Notorious Scoundrels, Standing Orders

He won our chance cube roll to be blue player, and we ended up playing Breakthrough with battlelines and Minefield.  Man, oh man, did those mines suck.  I think Rick took one crit to one of his AT-RTs, but both mines I set off rolled surges, and hit both Boba and one of my E-Webs twice.  Each took three wounds, which meant I was playing Boba very, very conservatively the entire game.  Leia's orbital bombardment also didn't help, doing two wounds to a stormtrooper unit, one to an E-Web, and one to my snipers, who were then promptly taken out by one of his sniper teams.  Adding insult to injury, I had forgotten to declare Boba's bounty, before we started the game (we were still on one of the first activations when I remembered it) and Rick denied my request to place it then.  While frustrating, I perfectly understand his reasoning, and I have no one to blame but myself.  The joys of playing a unit you're not used to using. 

The opening rounds weren't all bad for me, however, as I was able to focus fire DLT-19s and Boba's rockets against the AT-RTs, and take both of them down by the middle of round two.  Range four fire became the name of the game as Rick started pushing up at me in the center, and I tried skirting around the sides.  He got a little too pushy with Leia, and got her within range 2 of Boba, while wounded, who proceeded to use his free aim from Hunter to get several crits through her and Chewie's Guardian.  Han was also wounded, but he kept dropping stormtroopers.  One of my E-Webs soaked up a lot of fire, but ultimately folded, while the other one never made a shot the entire game.  I would have liked to use Boba more, but having wounded myself with the minefield and forgetting about emergency stims, I didn't want to risk him.  The game ended with him having one health point left, and Han and him having a show down.  Theoretically, Boba could have taken Han out the next turn if I remembered Emergency stims, but who knows.   Ultimately, it all came down to the last activation for both of us.  Rick's attempt to score fell short by millimeters.  I pushed a two-man Stormtrooper squad into his deployment zone, and he had to move one of his snipers into a position to get the hit.  He rolled a single crit, which, while killing the DLT gunner, didn't wipe out the unit, and allowed me to get the game-winning VP as our game ended due to time.  Talk about a close one.  

End of the game pictures:
20190511_15415720190511_154213

And the game winner, the SGT York of stormtroopers, waving at the Rebels snipers that almost tied the game. 
20190512_081822

No comments:

Post a Comment